Becoming a Childminder
Are you considering becoming a Childminder? Would you like to understand the different registers, the Ofsted registration process, training, where to access Paediatric First Aid training and support available from Babcock Prime.
The next step is to attend our FREE Childminding Information Session, please contact Babcock Prime Training team on 01905 678137 or the Early Years Helpline on 01905 678134 to find out when our next one will be.
To register as a Home Childcarer, Nanny, on the Voluntary Part of the Childcare Register, it is recommend that you download 'Ofsted's Early Years and Childcare Registration Handbook' (see below) and refer to Annex C (page 38).
Further support on becoming a childminder is available here
Essential Documents: Are available within the resources section below
Costs and Grants
- Worcestershire County Council have secured Department for Education funding to offer the training (see below) delivered by Babcock Prime FREE until October 2018
- The following document outlines initial and ongoing estimated costs available here
- The Childcare Business Grants Scheme is available once registered further information is available here
The Statutory framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage, effective April 2017, states that to become a registered Childminder you must have undertaken the following training:
- Paediatric First Aid (12 hours)
- Training that helps them to understand and implement the EYFS
Babcock Prime’s offer is the Pathway to Childminding Registration, outlined below:
- EYFS - Safeguarding & Welfare Requirements
- Running a Childminding Business
- Partnership with Parents and Families
- EYFS - Learning, Development and Assessment
- Nursery Education Funding (NEF) Registration
We are in the progress of planning another Pathway to Childminding Registration. Please contact the team to find out more about content/ duration by calling Babcock Prime Training Team on 01905 678137 or email ~firstname.lastname@example.org
Our booking terms and conditions are available here
Once you are registered on the Early Years Register, your first inspection will take place within the first 30 months of registration, further information regarding your first inspection and Ofsted’s expectations can be found here.
You will then be inspected at least once in every inspection cycle, a cycle is every 4 years, and the current cycle started September 2016 and ends July 2020.
Useful Websites: Are available within the resources section below
GOV.UK Website - Becoming a childminder
Gov.uk information on becoming a childcare provider, early years curriculum (0 to 5), funding and finance for childcare providers, performance and inspection for childcare providers, recruiting and managing early years staff