Vision Impairment Support
The Vision Impairment team offers support from teachers with specialist qualifications in visual impairment skilled Teaching Assistants, Educational Audiologists and a qualified Paediatric Mobility Specialist.
A bespoke time-based support service is provided to schools and settings to offer practical support and targeted strategies, using National Sensory Impairment Partnership (NatSIP) criteria, to deliver services in order to close the gap between deaf children and their peers and remove barriers to learning for children and young people (0-25 years) with diagnosed vision impairments.
A bespoke consultancy service for schools and settings which may include:
Specialised Assessment and Reporting
- Assessment and support of learners with low level or suspected vision difficulties to close the gap between their attainment and that of their peers
- SEN Audit -Detailed accessibility audits of the school environment, ensuring best practice and preparedness for teaching vulnerable groups
- Functional vision screening of children with suspected vision difficulties
- Examinations access arrangements screening and evidence reports
- Emotional health and wellbeing support
- ICT advice for inclusion
- Input into writing of fire evacuation plans
- Risk assessment advice for trips and off site activities
- Best practice transition advice for vulnerable groups
- Delivery of peer awareness across whole schools
- Delivery of curriculum units such as “senses”, SEAL and citizenship with resources and support for teaching staff
- Braille course
- Preparing individual pupil slearning/effective use of assistive technology - learn appropriate ways to modify learning materials
- Vision Impairment Awareness
Our support is not limited to the solutions listed.
Schools are able to purchase bespoke time-based consultancy to support hearing impairment, vision impairment and multi-sensory impairment requirements as part of a Sensory Impairment SLA.
Contact the Vision Impairment Team to discuss your requirements:
Melissa Boxall, Professional Lead Sensory Impairment
Tel: 01905 678189